History of Jacobstown School

In 1907 the North Hanover Board of Education purchased a tract of land from Mr. John Spence for what would be the new Jacobstown School.  The one room frame building was opened on December 30, 1907.  It was dedicated on January 3, 1908.  Mr. Mahlon K. Ivins was the first teacher at the Jacobstown School.  In 1918, a second teacher was hired to instruct the younger children.  Both teachers taught in the same room until a partition was constructed in 1920 to separate the classrooms.  As enrollment in the school increased, another room was added in 1928. By 1931, the school had added a new steam heating system, a well and electric pump which furnished running water, an inside lavatory facility, and a school lunchroom.

On November 3, 1937, the North Hanover Township Board of Education dedicated a new building at the cost of $14,164.87.  A basement auditorium with a seating capacity of 250 was built.  It was used as an assembly room, lunchroom, and a library.  In 1941 the lunchroom was renovated.  Modern equipment, including an electric refrigerator, electric range, steam table, and all steel supply cabinets had been added for a cost of about $800.00.

In the 1960's, North Hanover was a small farming community. There were very few developments and many dairy farms. The school was a meeting place, for not only the school board, but also for local families and their children. It was the place where the first polio vaccines were given in the early 1960's.  At the time, class sizes were about 25-30 students with one teacher.   Physical education, art, and music were part of the weekly schedule.  Recess was held on the blacktop behind what is now the oldest part of the school.  

Mr. Clarence B. Lamb was a popular figure in Jacobstown at the time. He was often found at the board office wearing his famous bow ties and reading glasses. He owned a house around the corner from the school.  He used to open his house to students and allow them to walk from the school for cider.  Early on, all school supplies were kept at the Lamb house and Mr. Lamb delivered the supplies to the schools in the areas.

Students enrolled during this time were tasked with getting water for the school from across the street. Lunch was served downstairs in the building. The principal, Mrs. Lillian Rafferty, a tiny women in stiletto heels, would tap on a salt shaker to announce that all students shall begin eating lunch. Once she tapped a second time, students were to finish their lunch. This seemed to work like magic! The primary reason that it worked was that no one wanted to end up in the principal's office!

Around 1964, Mr. Worth, the superintendent at the time, was the one responsible for the current base schools.