History of Jacobstown SchoolIn 1907 the North Hanover Board of Education purchased a tract of land from Mr. John Spence for what would be the new Jacobstown School. The one room frame building was opened on December 30, 1907. It was dedicated on January 3, 1908. Mr. Mahlon K. Ivins was the very first teacher at the Jacobstown School. In 1918, a second teacher was hired to instruct the younger children. Both teachers taught in the same room until a partition was constructed in 1920 to separate the classrooms. As enrollment in the school increased, another room was added in 1928. By the year 1931, the school had added a new steam heating system, a well and electric pump which furnished running water, an inside lavatory facility, and a school lunchroom.On November 3, 1937, the North Hanover Township Board of Education dedicated a newly constructed building at the cost of $14,164.87. At this time a basement auditorium with a seating capacity of 250 was built. It was used as an assembly room, lunchroom, and a library. 1941 brought the renovation of the lunchroom. Modern equipment, including an electric refrigerator, electric range, steam table, and all steel supply cabinets had been added for a cost of over $800.00.In the 1960's, North Hanover was considered a small farming community. There were very few developments and many dairy farms. The school was a meeting place, for not only the school board, but also local families and their children. It was even the place where the first polio vaccines were given in the early 1960's. Class sizes at this time consisted of about 25-30 students with one teacher. Gym, art, and music were part of the weekly schedule. Recess was held on the blacktop behind what is now the oldest part of the school. The cafeteria was still downstairs and later moved along with PE to the current location.
Mr. Clarence B. Lamb was a huge fixture in Jacobstown at the time. He could be found at the board office wearing his famous bow ties and reading glasses. He owned a house around the corner from the school. He would keep his house open to students and allow them to walk to his house for cider. Early on, all school supplies would be kept at the Lamb house and Mr. Lamb would deliver the supplies to the schools in the areas.Students enrolled in school during this time had the task of walking across the street to get water for the school. Lunch was served downstairs in the building. The principal, Mrs. Lillian Rafferty, a tiny women in stiletto heels, would tap on a salt shaker to announce that all students shall begin eating lunch. Once she tapped a second time, students were to finish their lunch. This seemed to work like magic! The primary reason that it worked was that no one wanted to end up in the principal's office!Around 1964, Mr. Worth, the superintendent at the time, was the one responsible for the current base schools.